Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I love scanning the radio dial and stumbling across wonderful songs I haven't heard for awhile. This morning I heard Alexander O'Neal's 1985 love song, "If You Were Here Tonight".

It sounds as fresh now as it did when I was back in college. Hmm...it sounds as fresh as it did when I was back in high school at the occasional dance at the local YMCA. His voice engages you with a smoothness that testifies to his Natchez, Mississippi roots. He could teach some of todays supposed R&B kings a thing or two.

O'Neal always came across to me as a "real man" in his songs, especially since real men in my book aren't afraid to express their emotions. He sings:

"As the night moves in
Love takes on a new meaning
If you were here
You would know what I mean to say
The circumstance leaves me only waiting

For the chance
I only want to love you more ... more."


What woman doesn't want to have a man sing that to her? Most women I know would melt to the floor if the man they love sang that.

You can click here to watch the original music video and hear the song. The video is a bit cheesy. It's very early 1980's. Just let the screensaver come on, turn up the volume, close your eyes and listen.

5 Comments?:

"I'll be calling you, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo..."
Here I am singing to you, baby...
how's that?
Any melting?

December 16, 2006 at 6:44:00 PM PST  

Well, you have the general idea so it would depend on whether or not your voice sounds like Alexander O'Neal's. That would probably be the deciding factor in any melting scenarios.

December 17, 2006 at 7:31:00 AM PST  

"Boo hoo, you got me crying for youuuu."

December 20, 2006 at 1:39:00 PM PST  

Gosh, where's a box of kleenex when you need it?

December 20, 2006 at 8:46:00 PM PST  

One of my favourite songs ever!!!

When i found out it was from the 80s it all made sense!! (80s music rocked)

February 4, 2008 at 9:59:00 PM PST  

Newer Post Older Post Home