Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Reading: Nothing by No One

I have a shameful confession to make: I haven't read a book in a month.


I usually tear through one or two books a week, even gleefully rereading old favorites if I haven't had the chance to get out and get something new. But, ever since I gave up on The Last Voyage of the Valentina, I haven't managed to crack open another book.
So, I need some suggestions. Keep in mind that I try to avoid horror books, self-help, Tom Clancy and most chick-lit type books. If what's sitting next to you on the couch doesn't fit those bills, what are you reading that I might enjoy?

7 Comments?:

How about something light but not trite... Any of the PostSecrets books. Moving stuff. They have them at LAPL for the borrowing.

The last book I finished was Dec. 17th and I'm a bit miffed by it, too. Now I have so much interesting stuff I don't know where to start!

December 26, 2006 at 3:48:00 PM PST  

I haven't been reading anything much either. Trying to read Generation X, which seems pretty good, but xmas keeps getting in the way and putting a book down for more than a day makes me lose the thread.

December 29, 2006 at 5:13:00 AM PST  

So I've decided that tackling another novel is probably not going to happen. Sundry, you gave me an idea about keeping it brief... so, I think I'm going to read a book of Cornell Woolrich short stories that someone sent me a few months ago. Woolrich is the original author of "Rear Window". The noir vibe of these might be engaging enough to keep me turning the pages, but not mentally engrossing enough to require too much dedication.

December 29, 2006 at 10:49:00 AM PST  

Oh, interesting. Rear Window is one of my favorite movies.

December 30, 2006 at 10:26:00 AM PST  

I wish I could help. I just accepted a position at a new company and I'm swamped with required reading--thus, pausing my desire for leisure reading.

I'm not sure if you read any of the books in Oprah's book club, but some years ago, she recommended a book called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker (?). It was an interesting read. Talks about human intuition and how it can be life-saving. It gives real-life examples and tips for remaining safe. Excellent Read.

January 5, 2007 at 6:08:00 AM PST  

if you're thinking short stories go for "The Laws of Evening" or anything by Holiday Reinhorn.

I'm sitting here perusing your site and i think we might be soul twins. OMG!

January 5, 2007 at 7:24:00 PM PST  

I just loved "A Secret History of tractors in Ukrainian". Confession time - I bought it for my book club when I fell in love with the title. Seems to have been very popular with every one else in the group too. I'm loving reading your blog too - thanks for stopping by mine.

February 17, 2007 at 10:12:00 PM PST  

Newer Post Older Post Home