Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

You ever hear songs that you just don't want to end?

The first time I heard Nelly Furtado's "Say It Right" I was so captivated by everything that was going on both musically and lyrically that I immediately went and downloaded it from iTunes. Timbaland definitely outdid himself on the beat and Furtado's vocals touch you in this odd place.


She herself has said, "We had this Eurythmics thing going on in the studio. I kept calling Tim 'Dave' and he'd call me 'Annie.' Eurythmics had this spooky, keyboard-driven pop sound. That song 'Here Comes the Rain Again' I'm not 100 percent sure what it's about, but it always takes me away to another place, and I love it. That's how I feel about 'Say It Right'; even though I wrote it, I don't really know what it's about, but it captures the feeling I had when I wrote it, and it taps into this other sphere."

It's interesting that she doesn't know what it's about but to me song seems to be about unrequited love or the love that got away. I'll confess, I was a bit surprised to hear Furtado singing this song because she's seemed so intent on being "Promiscuous" and a "Maneater", two songs off her latest cd that I didn't care for at all. I really like "Say It Right" a whole lot though. I rocked it in the car while driving up the coast to Santa Barbara a couple of weeks ago...and again, it's one of those songs that brought the tears on. The chorus is a real emotion-jerker for me:
"Oh you don't mean nothing at all to me
No you don't mean nothing at all to me
Do you got what it takes to set me free?
Oh you could mean everything to me."

Who hasn't felt that way before? We've all been there before. For all I know, you might be there right now. You can watch the video of the song on youtube if you haven't heard it before, but I highly recommend taking a listen with your eyes closed first....then you'll hear how great it is and why I never want it to end.

2 Comments?:

OK, but what do you say about "Promiscuous Girl?"

December 21, 2006 at 7:54:00 PM PST  

"Promiscuous" annoyed me because since when did promiscuity become a good thing? It made me wonder if they hadn't heard of HIV or herpes. Plus why is that no one was upset about Timbaland and Nelly Furtado using the n-word in the song?

December 21, 2006 at 10:05:00 PM PST  

Newer Post Older Post Home