Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

You know you want to sing the chorus to this one:

"Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win"

Yes, I heard "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House on the radio today and, sap that I am, I got all choked up with emotion, just like I used to in 1986 when this song was first released. Back then, I got emotional because I was a lowly freshman and having a hard time not being depressed about the four long years of high school that were ahead of me. Ah, high school and her maliciousness. Those four long years certainly dragged in their passing.

Thankfully, it's twenty plus years since freshman year. Nowadays when I hear this song, I get choked up over the possibilities, over what could have been, and what still can be if I only have enough courage to make things happen. It's the reason why the only poem I've ever memorized is "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. All of it makes me think back to the different directions my life could have taken. Sometimes I am amazed by the choices I made. Often, I'm utterly saddened by them. So you see, I have to remember it's never over.

Goodness, who knew a 21 year old song by a little Australian band called Crowded House would inspire such musings?

3 Comments?:

Oh dear, this is such a common mistake. As a proud New Zealander, I really have no choice but to let you know that Crowded House was a New Zealand band, with the Finn brothers coming from my hometown of Te Awamutu. But thanks for the memories with this post! :)

March 19, 2007 at 10:33:00 AM PDT  

Shameless,
I'm flogging myself over this! All this time I thought they were Australian and they're not! Apologies to you and all your brethren...and how cool that they come from your hometown! ;0

March 19, 2007 at 12:45:00 PM PDT  

I feel the same way about this song -- 1986 was a difficult year, but as I look back, it was also full of possibilities.

Love this song... thanks for bringing it to my mind again.

June 28, 2009 at 7:15:00 AM PDT  

Newer Post Older Post Home