Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I've been listening to AFI for about seven or eight months now. They've been around for fifteen years and I'm only now discovering them. I suppose I'm one of those new fans that old fans hate. I'm a biracial thirty-something woman with no tattoos or piercings. Not necessarily the target audience, I'm sure.

It's hard to describe their current album, Decemberunderground. It's got a strong punk asthetic and there are definite '80s alternative influences, but it also has it's own distinctive sound. It's the kind of record that It's got such a range, great in the car, great in the gym, great while washing dishes. Definitely one of the best records of 2006.

So what's my favorite song on the cd? I found out by looking at my itunes play count that I've listened to The Interview a good 307 times. Those that know me would guess that I would love a song that's lyrics start out, "Forever waiting for disaster. What David calls servant and master,will you play it, too?".

This is a clear reference to one of my favorite Depeche Mode songs, "Master and Servant" sung by DM's lead singer, David Gahan. That alone would cause me to adore "The Interview", but there's also some quality to the song that strikes me in this weird, emotional place. It brings on the tears. I was recently telling a friend about how I like to listen to music while laying flat on my back in a dark room. No other sights or sounds visible...just listening to the music. "The Interview" is a great song for doing that.

"For a change I'll refrain from hiding all of me from you.
Here's my lullaby
Pray for rain, lose your name
And watch all your dreams fall through.
Hush now, don't you cry."

I know they said not to cry but I just can't help it. If you need a good cry, you need to hear "The Interview."

0 Comments?:

Newer Post Older Post Home