Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Wasn't Robert Palmer the man?

He knew how to dress. He knew how to sing. He was well-mannered. He was just the essence of smooth...the kind of man American women probably think they are going to meet when they go to England.

Most people remember him as the singer of "Addicted to Love". Remember the video with the models dressed up and pretending to play the instruments? That was 1987 so maybe you don't. Just know that that video got more play on MTV back then than Justin Timberlake does now.

"Addicted to Love" although a great song, is not my favorite Robert Palmer track. Nope, not the stuff he did with Power Station either.

My favorite Robert Palmer song is actually from before all that. It's from 1983 and it's called, "You Are in My System." It's a cover of the song originally done by the R&B group the System. I think Robert's version is better. This is one of those songs that got rocked on WBMX in Chicago back in the day. Oh I have memories of hearing this while riding in the backseat of my dad's car on the Dan Ryan Expressway. Palmer was probably one of the first white artists to cross over to black radio. He wasn't trying to be "black" or "urban"though. And he knew what some artists today don't, that being black isn't about being hard, crude and vulgar.

The place I was at in a dream I had last night had "You Are in My System" playing. Today I just can't get it out of my mind. Palmer sings,

"Day by day and night by night
I feel you in my mind
It happens all the time
You know the day dreams stop
My heart beats on
I can’t take it any more
It's you I live for."

My thoughts exactly.

Unfortunately, Robert Palmer died three years ago at the age of fifty-four from a heart-attack. If you've never heard him before, take a listen. He won't disappoint. I promise.

5 Comments?:

I agree with you, but my fave song he did from around that period was a cover of The Gap Band's "Early in the Morning". He gives such a much more refined take...and I love The Gap Band. I've had that song on my internet radio station and almost without fail I'll get a comment for me to 'correct' the song listing...fave comment so far about it is 'there's no way that's Robert Palmer. Robert Palmer was white and British.' An unintended high compliment perhaps.

My favourite album of his is his live one at the Apollo Theatre, and I highly recommend it to those who truly want to see his range. His voice and style were just so lush, yet vibrant.

Much to his credit, he never saw racial or cultural lines, he just wanted to put out great music...regardless of its origin or chance of success 'in certain markets'. His fans are only better because of that courage. You're right, Liz, he is sorely missed and there is no one out there filling his void.

November 29, 2006 at 5:49:00 AM PST  

He WAS thee man ^_^

I was very sad when he passed.

Now, I see him in Heaven rocking out his songs with the angels, just like in his videos o_O;

December 6, 2006 at 4:02:00 PM PST  

I will have to check out the Apollo album and I can definitely picture him in heaven!

December 7, 2006 at 6:00:00 AM PST  

Oh, I didn't know he died..

December 18, 2006 at 10:57:00 PM PST  

Yes, it was quite unexpected. He was so young. Too young.

December 20, 2006 at 8:41:00 PM PST  

Newer Post Older Post Home